Are All Addiction Treatment Programs Equal in Indianapolis, IN?
Addiction treatment in Indianapolis, IN, is a critical step for anyone struggling with substance abuse. However, are all addiction treatment programs equal in Indianapolis, IN? The answer is a resounding “no”. What sets one program apart from another, though? What should you look for in an addiction treatment program that can truly help you move your life forward and reclaim your future?
A Patient-Centered Approach for Drug and Alcohol Addiction in Indianapolis, IN
Let’s start with the single most important element of a successful addiction treatment program. It must be patient-centered. That means everything offered, from initial intake processes through to group therapy, should be focused on you and your needs. It should strive to instill the skills and thought patterns necessary to interrupt the discursive thinking so often seen in addiction, and it should focus on both the short and long-term results.
Too often, addiction treatment programs in IN focus only on the detoxification process. While it is crucial to break the physical side of the addiction and to safeguard against dangerous withdrawal symptoms, this is only part of the equation. Patients who lack help after detox often relapse, meaning programs that aren’t patient-centered and designed to imbue them with new skills and thought patterns will ultimately fail.
Based on the Principles of Effective Treatment
Another element that separates addiction treatment programs in IN from one another is whether they’re based on the principles of effective treatment. There are 13 principles, all established in the mid-1970s. However, not all programs adhere to them entirely, and some don’t focus on them at all. What are these principles? In a nutshell, they’re as follows:
- Addiction is complex but beatable. It involves not just behaviors but also brain function and learning.
- The first step should be medically assisted detoxification. However, this is just the first of many steps.
- No single addiction treatment will work for all people.
- Quick access to treatment is critical for success.
- An effective treatment goes beyond stopping drug use and speaks to a patient’s full range of needs.
- Treatment duration is a critical factor. Most patients need three months to make a meaningful, sustainable change.
- Counseling and other behavioral therapies are important elements of successful addiction treatment programs in IN.
- Doctors should review treatment plans frequently and adjust as necessary to help each patient.
- Treatment should go beyond substance abuse to help with other mental disorders the patient may experience.
- Involuntary treatment can be effective when conducted correctly.
- Patients must be monitored for drug/alcohol use continuously throughout the program.
- Treatment programs should also test for diseases like hep B and C, as well as HIV/AIDS to reduce transmission risks.
The Right Setting for Addiction Treatment in Indianapolis, IN.
Each addiction treatment program in Indianapolis, IN, has a different setting, which may or may not be beneficial for patients.
Inpatient – Inpatient programs in Indianapolis, IN, involve patients checking into a rehabilitation facility for a specific duration of treatment. They’re formal, give patients a break from their regular life, and can be invaluable tools for those dealing with moderate to severe substance abuse problems. However, inpatient programs tend to be among the most expensive options and may be out of reach for some patients.
Outpatient – Outpatient treatment for addiction in Indianapolis, IN, is less formal than inpatient treatment and involves the patient visiting a facility several times per week for therapy sessions. They are usually free to continue with their regular life, including working a job, but they will be given medication to help with their withdrawal and transition from substance abuse. Outpatient programs offer flexibility but may not suit those with moderate to severe addiction.
Sober Living Facilities – Sober living facilities offer something of a middle ground between inpatient and outpatient programs. They’re less formal than inpatient programs and, while they have staff available, they are not as clinical (many inpatient programs occur within hospitals). These can give patients the benefit of living with others focusing on getting and staying sober while learning the techniques necessary to make positive changes.
Finding the Right Addiction Treatment Program in Indianapolis, IN for You
With the dramatic increase in substance abuse disorders, there has been an accompanying explosion of addiction treatment programs in IN. Finding the right program for you (or for a loved one battling addiction) is critical, but it cannot be very clear.
The right program will offer the following:
- A combination of treatment methods to help beats substance abuse, including medication, cognitive behavioral therapy, counseling, and more.
- A setting that works for your life and your needs in addiction therapy.
- A compassionate stance toward addiction and the knowledge that substance abuse rarely occurs in a vacuum. Patients usually have other mental health needs that are not being met.
With the right treatment program, it’s possible to put addiction behind you and look forward to a bright future.
Addiction Rehab Centers in Indianapolis, IN, provides a full continuum of care, including Detox, Residential, PHP, IOP, and aftercare solutions. Contact Us right away to start your journey into recovery from addiction to drugs and alcohol.